Saturday, January 6, 2007

Thoughts About Church Music

One of the church members commented on one of our Christmas carols a couple of weeks ago. He said "I'm glad you got your voice back, since none of us knew one of those songs. What was it again?" "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming," I said. "Yeah, that's the one. Actually, I think I heard that many years ago."

The comment was typical. I'm saddened by the lack of music appreciation in my church, and in Baptist churches in general. Here I am, a Baptist minister of music, who likes a great variety of music, and thinks our congregation should also like a variety! But I find that some are just so happy to sing only the music they know, without the desire of learning new music.
I have a lot more to say about this, but I have to go for now. Good night, everyone.

0 comments: