Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Square Peg in a Round Hole

I talked to a good friend today. He's in his 70s. He has left his church, a conservative one near Austin, Texas. The reason? He doesn't like the music. Recently his pastor preached several messages on worship. Soon after, progressively more contemporary Christian music began to emerge in the worship services. Is this a bad thing? I don't think so. He just feels like a square peg in a round hole.

I feel sad for these older folks who wonder what happened to the church music they grew up with. In many cases, they are the backbone of their congregations. As a result of his church's new worship service format, my friend might become a member of a small home church where his style of music is performed. I think this is fine if he's prayed about it, and feels led to do so. I only hope he can actually find one of these churches.

Here's the paradox: Many of the conservative evangelical churches are committed to the "contemporary" style of music in worship, while several mainline denominations, known for being more theologically liberal, are holding on to traditional music forms, including hymns, complete with organ preludes and postludes.

I love these senior adults who don't understand the new music. It doesn't bother me that they prefer styles they grew up with. The great thing is that I think most of them understand that we are trying to use some newer music to reach a broader audience these days, an audience that includes all ages. But sometimes I wish they could truly have a service of their own. And who knows? It might just grow with other people that appreciate their preferred styles of music.

One thing about these seniors is that they actually take the time to engage you in conversation. This is probably because they're not in a hurry. I get in a hurry quite often, and I hate the pace. But there are definitely wonderful moments when I feel like part of a community; and in this community, I'm giving by sharing my compassion and knowledge. Simultaneously, I'm receiving the benefits and blessings of living in that community. (I wonder if one of the reasons we don't have deep and meaningful conversation with others is that we watch too much television? It's a lot easier to not have to talk to people sometimes, isn't it?)

I am just so jaded by all those "experts" who think they know the formula to creating exciting worship experiences in our church services. Don't get me wrong. I long for excitement in worship! But I don't want it to come because I've "worked up the crowd" with some rousing song. I want it to come because people are "growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ" (II Peter 3:18). This kind of spiritual growth takes work, and doesn't happen overnight. This kind of growth can sustain us in the difficult times, and it occurs regardless of what happens in the Sunday worship services.

So what do you think?

0 comments: