Monday, July 14, 2008

Being in The Gospel Accordin' To Texas

Last Saturday evening LeRoy and Maggie Nienow held the awards ceremony for for those who participated in the 2008 production of LeRoy's musical The Gospel Accordin' To Texas, with additional music by John Pound. It was a lot of fun, and a relaxing recap to one of the most challenging things I've ever done. In fact, to borrow a line from the musical, "It was the toughest job I ever loved."

Back in the fall of 2007, when I played the role of the Padre in another musical directed by LeRoy, Man of La Mancha, LeRoy asked me to pray about auditioning for the role of Jesus Davidson in GAT. I said "yes." So after Christmas, I began to memorize the lines, not even knowing if I would get the part, since open auditions were to be held in February 2008.

Toward the end of February, maybe early March, LeRoy informed me that I got the part of Jesus. What a privilege and an honor to play the role of God the Son, as if the gospel story had occurred in Texas, circa the 1950s to the present. As I told the other cast members at the awards ceremony, I would have been happy to play any of the roles in this great musical. I had already heard how God had blessed this production in the past, and eagerly anticipated how He would use this present production.

It was held on weekends during the month of June. The stage was the beautiful outdoor venue known as the Emily Ann Theatre in Wimberley, Texas. We had a total of 12 performances, in addition to the Pastor Preview held a week before opening. Record crowds showed up to see GAT. And according to reports, several people left blessed and encouraged. To which I say "Amen." I truly hope and pray that I was able to act/sing in such a way as to draw attention to the real Jesus Christ and His gospel message.

I may never know how many people were blessed and somehow changed by seeing GAT, but I think it definitely had a positive effect on several of us who were in the production itself. I believe we're all better off for having been a part of this mammoth-sized retelling of the gospel message.

I thank God for the opportunity to play His Son, Jesus, as well as for the blessing of friendship with so many in the cast and crew. I'm also thankful for the encouragement received from others during the many hours of rehearsal. I tried to return the encouragement along the way. I'm especially grateful for an understanding wife, and children, who supported me so much during the rehearsals and shows. About 90 folks from my church and several friends from out of town, we're also able to come.

LeRoy is an outstanding director and actor. So it was a privilege to be directed by him. He says that much of the inspiration for GAT came from his having lived in Wimberley for eight years. After Man of La Mancha and The Gospel Accordin' to Texas, I wonder what he might direct next. Whatever it is, folks around here know that it's going to be top-notch! For an extensive slide show of GAT, click here.

0 comments: